Leasing vs Financing
Once you have found your perfect vehicle match, and organized a loan, the final big decision arises: leasing or financing.
Breathe easy knowing there is no “right” or “wrong” solution to payment, rather pros and cons for each unique buyer. A decision can be made by evaluating personal financial situations, preferences and driving habits.
Let’s break down this decision by answering some questions most buyers have, and should ask themselves upon car shopping.
Firstly, what is the difference between leasing and financing?
Financing is paying the total purchase price of your vehicle over time, in consistent monthly payments. This makes it more manageable to afford the purchase of a car, with the end result being ownership of your vehicle.
Leasing is making consistent payments, (bi-weekly, monthly) to drive and keep the vehicle for a long term amount of time. Included in the lease payment is the cost to use the vehicle and the amount of depreciation occurred as the vehicle is in your possession. At the end of a lease term, you must return the vehicle to the dealer, or utilize the option to buy. You can do this by paying out the residual value, or “value remaining” on the vehicle you were leasing
WHEN SHOULD I LEASE?
What are the Advantages to leasing?
- Driving a more expensive vehicle, with lower payments and little to no down payment.
- The vehicle included factory warranty offers lower repair costs.
- More flexibility with new vehicles every few years.
- At the end of the lease, no trade-in troubles apply.
- Less sales tax.
What are the Disadvantages to leasing?
- Unlike financing, you don’t own the car at the end of the term, however you will have an option to buy.
- Mileage can be limited by the dealer to a maximum kilometres, but purchasing more is an option.
- Leasing is the more expensive option, if kept long term (several years).
- Any above average “wear and tear”, can add additional costs to your leasing.
- Charges apply if you want to change vehicles before your lease term is up.
WHEN SHOULD I FINANCE?
What are the Advantages to financing?
- The financing payments make the vehicle “yours” and therefore, the vehicle can be modified as you like.
- Purchasing a vehicle saves money if compared long term to leasing (several years).
- No excess mileage penalty allows kilometres and travel to be a non issue.
- The freedom to sell the vehicle at any time.
What are the Disadvantages to financing?
- If you don’t have the ability to make a large down payment, it can cause buyers to owe more than the car is worth at the beginning of financing.
- Monthly payments are higher than a lease payment would be.
- Warranty will eventually expire, and you are responsible for repair costs.
- Trade-in and selling can be unwanted stress when it is time to look for your next vehicle.